Visual Studio Code – A free text editor
What is Visual Studio Code?
Visual Studio Code is a source code text editor developed by Microsoft. Unlike most other Microsoft products this text-editor is open-source and free. It supports almost all major programming languages straight out-of-the-box. It can run on Windows, Linux and macOS.
To download Visual Studio Code click here.
- Code refactoring: It simplifies your code and makes it easier to understand.
- Code completion: When you write your code VS code would give you suggestions about what the code might be before you complete it. This will help you program faster. Moreover, since the software can complete your code automatically it prevents human errors such as typos.
- Syntax Highlighting: It makes your code easier to understand and also helps in the detection of errors.
- Builtin Git commands: Since VS code has built-in Git commands you can perform many Git related tasks directly through the text editor hence saving your time.
- Extensible: Like most modern text editors VS code is also extensible. There are many extensions available at VS Code Marketplace which lets you add different languages, debuggers and other features.
- Snippet support: Snippets are small programs that are stored, so you incorporate them later into your main code. You don’t have to write them over and over again therefore it saves your time.
- Auto code generation: This feature produces lines of code just by pressing a few buttons making coding even faster.
- Code Navigation: Helps in going to different parts of your code and projects.
- Debugging:VS Code debugger runs your code line by line so you can detect where the problem or bug lies. You can also set breakpoints to stop the debugger at a certain point hence you can check different parts of your code at a time.
- Live Share: Although you have to download a plugin for this feature but it is worth mentioning. This allows you to share your work with others and for more than one person to edit the code at the same time.